A Brief History
Sutton Le Marsh National School was opened on 16th March 1863 with 44 pupils. On 26th March a supply of books and slates arrived and on 28th March a clock was put up. The school moved to its present location in 1902 but had to go back to the old site in 1915 when it was occupied by the military. Records show how the curriculum has changed. Around 1890 these subjects were included:
- How to keep cows, horses, sheep, hens, bees
- Butter and Cheesemaking
The first organised games lessons were in 1906. Modern aids were gradually introduced, the first school radio being given by the Urban District Council in December 1935. Exactly 60 years on, the school is donated PC's and Internet access facilities! The school became purely a primary school in 1952.
In the first 50 years the weather and demands of agriculture resulted in much absenteeism, as did some special events such as:
- To see cannons fired on 17th June 1864
- To see the new railway on 18th October 1877
- The opening of Sutton - Alford tramway on 2nd April 1884
- To see a seaplane on the shore on 2nd October 1914
There was a disastrous flood on 31st January 1953 when the sea breached the coastal defences. The school was flooded to a depth of three feet and had to be closed for two months. In 1983 HRH The Duke of Edinburgh was a visitor.